Driveways, Landscaping & Fences

Main content of the website

  • A
  • A
  • A
  • |

(Click the appropriate permit above to be taken to the page location)


A permit is required in order to construct a driveway. Before the driveway permit application is submitted to the Town of White City, a site plan detailing the location and measurements of the driveway must first be approved by the developer (if located in Great Plains Leaseholds Subdivisions - Fairway, Emerald Creek, Bower West & Sarah's Cove).

All driveways are to be finished with an appropriate hard surface of concrete, asphalt or paving stone. Please note: no asphalt is allowed in Bower West Phase III or Sarah's Cove.

All swales or u-channels need to be staked by an engineer to ensure the proper grades are maintained. In the Great Plains Leaseholds subdivisions, call 306-525-9516 to arrange for their engineer to stake the swale. 

Driveways cannot be constructed to the property line - there must be at least three feet of separation to allow for proper drainage to occur between properties. 

For the Great Plains Leaseholds subdivisions, as well as the McKenzie subdivision, the driveway shall not exceed 24 feet at the property line, with an allowable 4-foot flare on each side. 

For the Garden of Eden Subdivision, the driveway entrance shall not exceed 30 feet with an allowable 4-foot flare on each side. 

Driveways must be finished within two years after completion of the home. 

Driveway Process 
  1. Have driveway plan approved by the developer.
  2. Submit Driveway Permit Application form, along with developer approved plot plan, to the Town Office or email to
  3. The Town will inspect the property and locate the cleanout and curb stop as soon as the permit and plot plan are submitted. The curb stop will be tested by town staff to ensure it's working properly. The cleanouts and curb stops must be located prior to any driveway work commencing.
  4. Have driveway swale staked by an appropriate engineer.
  5. Call for site inspection once framing is complete and prior to installing rebar. This is vital to allow town staff to inspect the curb stop and the swale/u-channel are set to the proper elevation. 
  6. Town staff will inform property owner or driveway contractor if there are any adjustments required, such as if the curb stop is bent or if it has been placed at an improper elevation (the curb stop must be 3" from finished grade elevation).

* Note: Some curb stops may be located outside of the driveway work, but they still must be inspected at the time of the driveway construction. 

Manager of Public Works Gary Schmidt can be contacted at 306-552-3848 to schedule driveway inspections. 

Home owners must ensure driveway contractor obtains a Business License from the Town of White City.

Permits are not valid unless authorized by The Town of White City.


The Town of White City has a natural drainage plan. This means that yard, driveway, and home elevations are extremely important and must be maintained to engineered designs.

Do not proceed with any new or change any existing landscaping until you have had a property grade elevation certificate done by a reputable survey company. You can call the Town to check and see if there is a recent grade elevation certificate on file. 

All Landscaping plans need to be approved by the town before they can be implemented.

Please refer to your restrictive covenant, if applicable, for more guidelines and restrictions for landscaping.

Landscaping Requirements By Subdivision:

Note: Inspections are done between May 30 and September 30 each year (weather permitting).
Request an inspection by emailing

Royal Park

Landscaping permit applications are not required by the Town for any residential properties in Royal Park. Property owners should contact the developer to ensure they are abiding by all required landscaping regulations as outlined in the restrictive covenant.

Ready to plan your landscaping? Here is some helpful information from SaskPower on Trees and Powerlines

Did you know?  In Saskatchewan, trees cause approximately 2,000 power outages a year when they come into contact with power lines. In White City we pride ourselves on our amazing urban forest – but some our beautiful trees may be impacting the reliability of power in our town.

REMEMBER: NEVER try to trim branches or trees near a power line – SaskPower provides this service free across the province thanks to their highly trained employees.

Trees and Powerline Safety

SaskPower - Request Tree Trimming Near a Powerline


A development permit is required to build a fence in the Town of White City. When constructing a fence, it is recommended that you have your property surveyed. If your property is located on a corner lot, the height of the fence is restricted at the corner site line. Please check your title for a restrictive covenant concerning fences. 

The Zoning Bylaw governs the height restrictions in front, side and rear yards for each of the Zoning Districts within the Town of White City.

You will need an applicable grading certificate for the property before constructing a fence. When approving the fence permit application, the town must be able to ensure the grade of the property is maintained so the elevation of the fence is appropriate. If you do not have an applicable grading certificate, either contact your home builder or the town for further instructions. Permits will not be issued if your property grades are not to the subdivision plan.

Living fences created from plant material require frequent maintenance. When placing shrubs, consider how the shrub will grow to prevent encroachments onto neighbouring properties.

The use of barbwire in fence construction is prohibited in residential zoning districts within the Town of White City.

You must construct a fence around swimming pools - please see The Private Swimming Pool Bylaw No. 667-21 for more information.

Height Restrictions

The height of the fence is measured from the ground level immediately adjacent to the fence to the highest point of the fence.

Fences located in required front yards are limited to 1.2m in height.

Fences located in the side and rear yards are limited to 1.85m in height. The side yard begins at the front corner of the principal building. 

Requirements By Subdivision

Bower West/Sarah's Cove

Fences in this area must be approved by Great Plains Leaseholds before a Fence Permit is issued. Submit a plot plan showing the fence placements on the property to Great Plains Leaseholds for approval and then submit the authorized plot plan, along with the Fence Permit Application to the town. Permits are not valid unless authorized by the Town of White City. 

Fences must have metal posts and these posts must be cemented into the ground. Wooden fences are not permitted.  

McKenzie Pointe, McKenzie Landing, McKenzie Lane

All fencing material must preserve sight lines. Fences in the front yard of the house are not permitted.

Garden of Eden

All fencing material must preserve sight lines. The fence cannot protrude past the front yard building line. Fences in the rear and side yards cannot exceed 6 feet.